Five-Step Plan for Work Simplification
- Select job/activity to be improved:
- This is a task that takes too long, makes you too tired or requires too much exertion.
- Review the job/activity and equipment used:
- Why is it necessary?
- What is the purpose?
- When should it be done?
- How is the best way for me to do it?
- Where should it be done?
- Breakdown of the details of accomplishing the job/activity: (List all details.)
- What do you need to do to get ready? Tools, equipment
- What body motions are necessary to accomplish the job/activity?
- What needs to be cleaned up and put away?
- Develop a new method:
- Eliminate unnecessary details
- Combine motions and activities
- Rearrange the sequence of the job/activity
- Simplify all necessary details
- Apply the new method: (Ask for help if possible.)
- Rearrange tools and equipment
- Readjust working heights and areas
- Set up work stations
- Discard items not used
*Source: Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, St. Mary's Hospital, Minneapolis, MN
© Sari Hands PLC
Sari Lewis • Phone 480–206-6592 • Fax 480-451-1352 • eMail Sari
14362 N. Frank Lloyd Wright Blvd. • Suite 1105 • Scottsdale, AZ 85260
website maintenance by One Eleven Web Design